Recently I read Joe McKendrick's interesting article titled:Cloud Computing Market Hot, But How Hot? Estimates are All Over the Map
Joe's views and predictions are similar to mine. However, he base his opinions on actual survey done by him, as part of his work with Unisphere Research/Information Today Inc and on leading Analyst firms predictions.
I recommend reading Joe's article.
The following bullets quote few highlights:
- Market Research Media,cited in the Bloomberg report, says the cloud market will reach $270 billion in 2020.
- Forrester is a tad less optimistic, predicting last year that the market will hit $241 billion by that time.
- Research firm IDC says the market will hit about $55 billion by 2014.
- The larger companies in the survey are most inclined to be supporting their own private internal clouds. Close to half of the companies with workforces of greater than 10,000 employees (45%) have private clouds in production or in limited use. By contrast, only 11% of the mid-size companies in the survey have such efforts underway.
- Public cloud adoption, on the other hand, is most pronounced among the smaller companies in the survey. One-third of companies with 1,000 or fewer employees use public cloud services, versus 19% of the largest companies in the survey.